This salad was taken from Yotam Ottolengthi’s book “Plenty More”. His book has the most amazing and different recipes! I’m looking forward to sharing more of his beautiful recipes with you all 🙂
Find the sweetest tomatoes you can for this salad! Important to balance out the lemon bitterness.
- 2 medium lemons, halved lengthways, pips removed and cut widthways into 2mm slices (260g)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar (Yes yes, I know the dreaded S word! Diabetes and weight loss clients, leave this ingredient out!)
- 8 sage leaves, finely shredded
- 400g baby tomatoes, yellow or red or a mixture of both, halved
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 10g parsley leaves, chopped
- 15g mint leaves, chopped
- seeds of 1 small pomegranate (120g)
- 1 1/2 tbsp pomegranate molasses – if you live in Australia I bought this from Harris Farm Markets for $3.99
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced (50g)
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius/ 150 degrees celsius (fan)
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, add the lemon slices and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain well and then place the lemon in a bowl and pour over 1 tbsp of the oil, 1/2 tsp of salt, the sugar and sage.
- Gently mix and then spread out everything on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, until the lemons have dried out a little. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in a bowl along with the remaining oil, 1/4 tsp of salt and some black pepper.
- Add the lemon slices, stir gently and serve.