One VERY tasty accompaniment to any meal! I had this as a side with salmon for dinner and it was absolutely divine! Inspired by Tasha Deserio from Fine Cooking.
Serves 3 – 4
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 – ½ tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed (pounded in a mortar)
- Pinch cayenne pepper
Eggplant and red capsicum:
- 1 large globe eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 red capsicum, sliced into thin strips
- olive oil to drizzle into frying pan
- 1/4 cup of crumbled fetta
- 2 tbs coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbs of coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- Mince the garlic, sprinkle with salt
- Combine the garlic paste and 1 tbs of lemon juice in a small bowl, put aside for 10 minutes
- Combine the shallot with the remaining 1/2 tbs lemon juice and a pinch of salt in another small bowl, set aside for 10 minutes
- Whisk the olive oil, cumin, and cayenne into the garlic mixture.
- Season to taste with salt or cayenne
- Combine both bowls together once the eggplant and red capsicum is cooked
Eggplant & Red Capsicum
- Sprinkle salt over the eggplant and the red capsicum. Heat up a frypan on medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Fry the eggplant and red capsicum for 5 or so minutes on either side, or until golden brown. The interior of the eggplant should be soft.
- Place eggplant and capsicum on a plate, sprinkle the crumbled fetta on top. Drizzle the dressing all over and top with mint and coriander